Aguçadoura It is a Portuguese town, since 2011, currently part of the Parish Union of Marine and Aguçadoura, the city of Povoa de Varzim. Had the parish status between 1933 is 2013. The first historical reference to this village appears in 1258: “… in Petra Aguzadoira que est in termino de Nabaes”. It is known that Dona Ouroana Parents belt established around three couples and that in 1343 It is described as Peranguçadura. The installation of the first inhabitants was quite difficult, because Aguçadoura It is practically built on dunes and the continuous aggression of the sand moved by the wind prevented the settlement of populations. It was then part of Marine Parish.
With the creation of civil parishes in 1836, Aguçadoura becomes a Marine parish of places, hitherto belonging to the municipality of Barcelos. Only from the eighteenth century that the town took some importance (in 1730 already had about 25 families) and in the middle of the next century the population was already higher than the rest of the Naval parish, which was part. In the early twentieth century the atmosphere among the inhabitants of Aguçadoura and civil authorities and Marine religious deteriorated due to the wishes of aguçadourenses to form a parish apart. Like this, in 1933, the height of Government decrees lifting Aguçadoura the parish category, separating it from the Naval which had always belonged.
Aguçadoura It is a parish belonging to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Braga. Although already in 1730 the aguçadourenses have asked for there to build a chapel, which has always been denied by the religious authorities Marine, only in 1873 Could it be this year inaugurated the chapel. It was then established as the patron saint of place Aguçadoura, Our Lady of Good Voyage, since almost all its inhabitants have emigrated family in Brazil or Portuguese colonies. The high population growth the chapel began to prove too small for the community's needs and 1952 He began to build a new church, the Church of Our Lady of Good Voyage, what is now the largest in the city and one of the points of interest of the county poveiro. The former chapel remains the façade that can be seen in front of the new church. The festivities in honor of the patron saint are held every year on the last Sunday in July.
The trough fields are a unique form of agriculture in the world, very characteristic of the parish. This form of agriculture is to make a large, rectangular pit in the dunes. The corners of the cave known as “fences”, vines are grown, to protect the central area of winds. Na área central, Water is, not salty as we might suppose, and everything can be cultivated; However, They are required large amounts of water and seaweed (to fertilize or just). Today is a type of farming at risk of extinction due to the popularization of greenhouses in the region and even the use of sand for construction.