The Marques de Pombal Square is a square in the center of the city of Povoa de Varzim, where today works Municipal market which is oriented to the public and ideal for trade in fresh locally sourced produce, including sea and farmland in the municipality poveiro.
With the arrival of David Alves for the presidency of the Chamber Varzim, This decides the construction height of the market in a larger space, Plaza Marques de Pombal. To realize is invited Ventura Tower, one of the greatest Portuguese architects height. The new market is opened in 31 January 1904.
He found himself surrounded by four turrets and the central square was the public market where they were sold fresh products of local production, whereas the fishing port came the fish and rural Varzim arrived vegetables, such as potatoes or carrots. In 18 April 1904, Market changed its name-Marketing David Alves, in honor of its booster.
But in the decade of 1970 the last century, It is decided the construction of a sheltered market, from the architect Campos Matos project. Then comes a building with 6 499 m², spread over two floors. The works begin in 1979 and the new market is opened in 2 July 1982, with construction completed in January of that year. The building requires the demolition of the towers that lined the square by the North and the Public Garden that confronted with the Avenida de Albuquerque Mouzinho. The lining the square from the south continued to be used for trade and its maintenance was decided to preserve the local memory, as well as the iron gate and its latticed wall. In 1996, the local town hall retrieves the remaining turrets and, in 2009, It presents a new project for the Square, in which the turrets and recover the lost garden. It's finally created a new shelter building, smaller and have less impact on the square. Next to the Market, You can still admire the Monument to the Dead of the Great War, in Pombal Square Garden, and Statue of David Alves, and meet the old station of the Autonomous Board of Roads (today, a kiosk) ou o Palacete do Postiga (today, the fleet of the Public Security Police).